Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

A quote by Plato.  Today was fantastic with many things to learn...as usual.
1. I learned how to make a black and white photo with just a little bit of color (see Facebook for said picture).
2. In reference to said photo, I learned that I am a horrible ping pong player using just my hand as a paddle.  Maybe it's because my hand isn't flat or maybe because the ball had been laying on the ground for a period of time unknown before we arrived.
3. Three Mills Greenway is named after a place where there are actually only 2 mills (The House Mill and the Clock Mill).  They were pretty neat looking too.
4. London is going to have fantastic facilities for the 2012 Olympics.  I got to see a bunch of the construction today and it looks amazing.  Plus the renovations that they are doing are going to be somewhat permanent in order to contribute to the community of that area (which has been somewhat derelict in the past decades).  Much of the construction and materials have been based through British companies and have been done in environmentally conscious ways.  This avid recycler appreciates this aspect very much.  I am one of those people who carries empty cans and bottles until I find a recycle bin.
5. This will be the third time London has hosted the Olympics, which is a record.  However, it's the first time that they've had the full 7 years to prepare and they have taken advantage of every minute.  I'm so excited to see the finished product next year (actually 1 year, 1 week and 1 day from today).  Unfortunately, it probably won't be in person again.
6. I can do laundry in a foreign country!  Granted, it's English speaking and there were instructions.  Maybe, I'm not so much of a genius.

1 comment: