Monday, July 25, 2011

"Come forward."

-Mr. Mark Lunt, our guide around St. Paul's Cathedral today.

We had another wonderful day full of information; again more than I can share or possibly remember.  I'm glad I've been required to do this blog, because it will help me to remember things that I would probably forget once I got home.

1. Sir Christopher Wren was an architectural genius.  If you've ever been in St. Paul's Cathedral you would understand why.  Apparently, every Londoner knows his name all too well, because he constructed so many buildings (especially churches after the great fire).  His memorial is in the center of the church floor and he is buried beneath the cathedral in the crypt, with several other famous names (most notably Arthur, Duke of Wellington).



2. I can in fact climb 528 stairs.  My legs hate me and if they had any strength left at all they would probably run away from me, but they don't and so I get to keep them for now.  Anyway, the view from the top of the dome was incredible and I'm so glad I did it.  I'm also thankful that I'm not afraid of heights.

3. Photography is still my favorite art form.  There was an exhibition at the Museum of London that consisted of photography from the streets of London throughout different time periods.  My favorite was of a little girl, all raggedy looking, talking to a man with a hook instead of a hand (which it said he lost in an industrial accident).  Their faces were wonderful and the background people were absolutely fantastic too.  I wish I had been able to spend more time there.

4. I do really enjoy this city.  If you want to see some examples of why, I'm including a video in this blog that is a nostalgic look at the city.  It captures some of the different ways the city moves and how I have chosen to embrace those things.  It also sort of moves backwards through time.  I hope it makes sense; it has an artsy feel that I know can be lifeless to some, but it speaks a lot to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment