- where you stand death cut away the light of many days - here jewelled names were broken from the vivid thread of life - may they rest in peace while we walk the generations around their strife and courage - under these restless skies." -Brian Catling, creator of the execution site memorial at the Tower of London
I went to the Tower of London today and it felt like one of those days where I have to ask myself: What didn't I learn today? But in the spirit of keeping this of readable length I'll share just a few things:
1. A total of 3 queens were executed at the Tower of London over the years. Two of those were wives of none other than Henry VIII. I don't know that that's much of a surprise to anyone.
2. One priest was able to escape with his friend.
3. The Tower of London is actually made of many towers. it seemed like every time I turned a corner there was another tower with a sign. A few of them include: The Bloody Tower, Martin Tower, Byward Tower and White Tower.
4. I am totally fascinated by armor. I don't know why. Plus the display they had was incredibly well designed.
5. The crown jewels are too big for a normal person like me; I suppose that's why they're reserved for royalty. The longer I'm here the more thankful I am that I am not Kate Middleton. She is beautiful and graceful and handles it all very well. I am not so and I'm quite certain I like my privacy. And as pretty as the crowns are, I don't think I'd want to sit through a long ceremony with 5 pounds of jewels pushing down on my head. So, thank you God that I am a peasant.
| The memorial that I quoted above. |
| Henry VIII armor. |
| The White Tower that stands at the center and the royal family would live on the top floor when they stayed here. |
No comments:
Post a Comment