Monday, June 13, 2011

Success

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill

I have often found myself intimidated by success.  I fear it in a way that I don't really know how to describe.  More than that fear though is the fear that it will paralyze me.  The result tends to be something which may even be worse: apathy.  I do things but have a hard time seeing them through.  I begin and seldom finish and if I do finish I don't necessarily finish well.  I gain momentum and lose it.  These are killers of passion, progression and success.  I may become another nameless person making money and spending it, leaving little on the world.  I just haven't quite figured out how to handle ambition (if I can even catch it in the first place).  Looking to those who succeed only frightens me, not encourage.  sigh.  I hope I figure this out and can pursue something to a successful end.  Prayers are always appreciated.
PS This came out of watching Super 8 (the new movie) and wondering how someone can be so brilliant to make everything in a story weave so beautifully together.  It isn't a deep movie so much, but just very well done.

In looking at quotes on success I found this: "Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value." -Albert Einstein
Perhaps this is a better way for me to view life.  I may have to return to that once I've thought it over.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog! This post brought to mind a book (which Doug read, but I have not) that you might enjoy on this subject: Rescuing Ambition by Dave Harvey. http://www.amazon.com/Rescuing-Ambition-Dave-Harvey/dp/1433514915

    ReplyDelete